Sunday, November 9, 2008

are you patriotic now? how about now?



I heard on the radio all this stuff about people in liberal parts of the country buying American flags and wanting to show pride in their country for the first time in their entire life since the election. They mentioned this article from a Seattle newspaper. I think it's a strange thing for people to claim they are now proud for the first time, or that they now love their country, when a week ago they couldn't say that. I've been thinking about lots of stuff lately about this sudden love for your country thing, and also the idea of acceptance- but only when the other person agrees with your point of view. They seem often to be tied together somehow, or at least usually involve a lot of the same people. I bet if you go to places in middle America, 'traditional values' places or 'bitter-clinger' territory as some like to say, places that typically have lots of American flags up throughout their towns and neighborhoods, I bet you will continue to see those flags through the next four years. Even if they didn't vote for the man in the white house, I bet those flags remain. I think they know, as I know, that our country isn't one man. It isn't even 2 people, or even a small group of temporary leaders and governors, it is something much larger and greater.

Dad, I suppose you've taken your flag down right? Have maybe even burned it after seeing the election results? Probably won't even consider taking it out for the next four years? I highly doubt it. I just think it's really funny that papers in Seattle or San Francisco are actually running pieces on properly displaying and caring for the flag because their readers never cared to honor it before and don't even know how. Whatever their reasoning be, I say- 'Welcome! Join us in appreciating our country!" I just hope that that truly is what they are doing, because no matter who got elected, I think it's a pretty great place.

3 comments:

Bill Hastings said...

Good points. I can't help but remember, as I hear about how excited folks are that America elected a black man as president, that those folks weren't that excited when Clarence Thomas was nominated to the Supreme Court, not that excited when Powell, then Rice, became Secretary of State. I never doubted we could elect a Black -- hence, I missed the great feeling of elation. I had hoped our first black president would be a bit more conservative and experienced, however.

Whitney said...

'Tis interesting. I sort of understand it, but it is kind of sad that all the good this country has done and is doing in the world, and all it stands for, can be completely eclipsed by dislike of the current President.

bbcurfew said...

Christian-
I need to get a shirt from you. That would be fun to get some cool pics at the park sporting your brand. I do remember skating together in Washington. That was a lot of fun. I wish I could go more than I do. I guess I need to get really good insurance incase I break myself. It's too bad we don't live closer so we could go together. I've enjoyed reading your blog. It's a crazy world out there isn't it?
Brandon