Monday, October 13, 2008

takes green to be green

Kind of rare to see something on msn that makes sense to me.
Just wanted to pass this short article on- talking about the rich and famous and environmentally conscious trying to tell everyone else how to live because they can handle the costs...

Even though this isn't a big issue right now, it's something I think is really annoying. McCain is supposed to be a complete idiot because he thinks we need more oil right now. I think it's nice he realizes that most of us live in the real world where the priority is to put food on the table and not save a polar bear from drowning. To me, it's not 'more of the same' or being 'out of touch', it's called dealing with reality and common sense.

3 comments:

Bill Hastings said...

Good article. But isn't that the essence of modern liberalism -- the chosen telling the rest how to live? Maybe if the poor figured this out, they'd leave the Democratic Party.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that it's obnoxious when celebrities pretend like they know what it's like to be a normal person. I have issues with the hypocrisy of Al Gore. And I don't think that poor people should have to starve because of high energy costs.
At the same time, though, something needs to change. If gasoline remains cheap, why move to a renewable fuel? I would love to think that people would eventually make the change because it's sustainable and better for the environment, but unfortunately, money drives our country. I am willing to pay more for things that I think are worth it: things like organic fruits and vegetables, grass-fed beef from cows who have had a chance to be cows, I'm even willing to pay more for gasoline for a few years in order to encourage our country to encourage moving away from fossil fuels. I'm not saying that government should mandate people buying organic vegetables, but I think the only way the country will change is if people put their money where their mouth is.
Being products of Hawaii, I would think that we would have a greater love of the world and want to take even better care of it. Growing up in such a beautiful place and then moving to Utah, where the land is also beautiful but so much has been hurt by rapid growth, overpopulation, not worrying about the long-term effects on the environment, has made me a bit of an environmentalist.
In the end, I guess what I'm saying, is that although celebrities are stupid and hypocritical, somethings are worth sacrificing for. I'm willing to pay a little extra to preserve some wilderness and to move to more sustainable energies.

Bill Hastings said...

I have no problem with anyone who is willing to pay more for the things they think are better. I have a problem with those who want to force everyone else to pay more.