Wednesday, January 21, 2009

presidential shaka

I wanted to acknowledge that today, as I walked to the bus stop and looked at the front page of today's newspaper, I felt something warm inside.
This is the image I saw:



Obama throwing a shaka yesterday. I admit I thought that was pretty sweet. I felt a portion of affection inside for Obama that I'd never felt before. I thought he could be a cool President, and it would be nice to see him do well and support what he does for the country.

But just some thoughts on yesterday's events...
I have to say that I heard most of Obama's speech yesterday and I didn't cry. I thought it was pretty standard really. Thus far I think President Palmer on 24 got me far more proud and excited, as I still don't really know what to think or believe about Obama (whereas Palmer was tested and tested and always showed his integrity!).



I had to think yesterday, as people around me were recovering from personal sob fests, what I would do if I were walking to the bathroom here at work and the elevator opened and the new President walked into the office. I really thought about it and concluded I would say, 'oh, hi President Obama!' and shake his hand and then continue on with my life. I wouldn't disintegrate into a puddle of mush, I wouldn't pee my panties, I don't think I would even shed a single tear. I had to share that with Shandra when she picked me up due to all the ellation around us. To me, Obama is just a man. A good orator, a lawyer and a politician. That is it- I realize I left 'deity' off the list. I am proud that even though many countries put us down and pride themselves on being more progressive, that even they would not elect an African American to preside over their non-black majority population. It is a great thing and our country continues to be an example to the world. But the whole love fest is a little ridiculous. If you found yourself crying uncontrollably yesterday, I would suggest taking a deep breath and trying to grab a hold of reality (of course I'll make an exception if you actually suffered through segregation first hand). Let's have hope Obama can keep us safe and help turn around our economy, sure. But let us all remember, he is only human, he is just a man.

5 comments:

Shandra and Christian said...

Love the Shaka picture. And C... did you really just use Palmer as an example of integrity? ha ha...you make me laugh. You are right, Palmer is pretty sweet. (but fake)

Best wishes to Pres. Obama and his family.

Bill Hastings said...

Obama said "that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve." Does that mean he'll no longer support the Akaka Bill?

Whitney said...

It is interesting that the UK/ Europe, etc. generally think we're backward and laughably conservative, but they acknowledge that in this case, we're way ahead - they won't be putting a black man in power for a long time.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited. I am hopeful. I love the shaka picture. My classes read parts of his speech yesterday. We looked at references to history, what he hopes for the future, and then what he's asking of us. He's asked us to put aside differences and look forward with hope. He seems to want to repair not only the economy and other political concerns, but just the partisanship in our country. He is just a man. But I am still hopeful.

bbcurfew said...

Amen Brotha. You should also remember, "help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around...
when yellow will be mellow...
when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen."
Seriously, us white folk need to do what's right for once, geeze. What the heck was that prayer all about?

We do need to support Obama. He is our President. I will never, ever stoop to the level that so many did when Bush was in office (well, and even today. Get over it people). I'm hopeful. But I'm also realistic.