Monday, April 14, 2008

Things that make bad architecture



As a result of my distaste for much of the built world being produced nowadays, I thought I would offer some critiques for everyone inhabiting it with me to consider. Looking at the architecture in the U.S., much of it, in many ways, is lagging if not void of any architectural validity. Quality design is no longer a priority, but quantity and efficiency. I've made a quick list of ways buildings fail, reasons they frustrate me and do not provide their inhabitants with the many benefits good architecture should. My interest is in designing homes and so my most critical eye is upon this building type.

1- Ornamental excess/ trend reflection: Too many buildings lack good design where it matters, and become mere displays of the latest trends in architectural style and materiality. For example, the 'Tuscan' obsession right now in the western U.S. Trends come and go- if you look at subdivisions in Southern California you can tell which decade they were built by the style they are reflecting. There, entire shopping centers and areas of town can become run down and abandoned when the style they represented has run its course. I have witnessed the strange phenomenon of a strip mall getting a make over- application of the trendy stone cladding, correct beige tone stucco and the obligatory arch here and there- and all of a sudden it is a thriving oasis once again.

This seems odd and also wasteful when so much material and money is spent on superficialities with such short life spans. I realize buildings require maintenance and the occasional renovation. But good architecture and design is timeless. It should reflect the culture, character and climate of the area it is in and not fleeting trends. In places where culture and character is becoming increasingly lacking, this wasteful cycle is thrown into hyper drive. Good design has never been so needed and so disregarded.

2- Faux cladding: I see this often as a way to disguise an otherwise ugly and poorly designed building. Cladding does have its place- perhaps on a high rise where the true material is too large, heavy or expensive to use, but if it is simply for the purpose of a trend like that mentioned above, please spare me. Let something a little less costly and permanent like your car tell the world you seek its approval and inclusion.

3- Stucco: Just a nasty looking exterior material. Affordabilty makes it attractive, so I suppose it has its place. But it looks and acts cheap as well! Concrete block is infinitely cooler in my book, and am still partial to wood and other materials displaying a more natural beauty. In general, I like the idea of using materials that don't need to painted and disguised, but can be celebrated for their unique properties just as it is.

4- Fabric Awnings: I think of a sculptor finishing a masterpiece in stone, celebrating the human body- Then ruining it by dressing it up in a cheesy outfit. If it is a true masterpiece, then the outfit is unneeded and detracts from the finished work. If it is good architecture I feel like it should have more of a sense of permanence and purity. If shade or shelter is required, a material which doesn't require regular bathing and maintenance would, to me, be more successful. The idea of materials that age well is something I am also a fan of. Too often, fabric awnings look like an old band aid or cheap remedy for a design that missed something somewhere during the process.

5- The 'Grand Entry':
I am not impressed by these, am I completely insane? I feel like these have become increasingly important in the world of those seeking their neighbors praise, or those building a home as a temple unto themselves. An article I once read discussed this design element, along with a couple others, as an extremely effective selling tool.
The person mentioned that such a feature ups the 'wow' factor for someone viewing the house quickly and superficially. Once they move in they find the grand entry to be less impressive, but more a waste of space, decreasing privacy throughout the house and increasing the noise level unnecessarily. I suppose that is one of the main differences in buying a developer designed home and one designed by an architect. Wow factor, trendy materials and gimmicks to make a quick profit vs. quality design tailored to the needs of the occupant. But people continue to eat it up. It is a waste of space! It serves no function but to impress the person as they enter! If that is a main requirement in your home's design, please don't seek out my input. I think of some of my favorite architects and their designs, even when a home is large, the entry is often quite humble. For me, a home with a connection with nature is important, not one that is meant to outdo it through the use of high ceilings and spiraling staircases. Spaces with a sense of openness or of intimacy should be strategically designed and located to fit the users needs, lifestyle and the overall site.

6- Site unspecific design: Too many buildings look like they were designed without any particular site in mind. This leads to generic, predictable, out-of-place, or at the least, inefficient design. Quality architecture should respond to the site and client and user needs. Although the idea of green building is being touted as the latest fashion, many of the concepts regarding sustainable design have been there since the beginning. Orienting the building to maximize/minimize daylight and heat gain, use of local and sustainable materials, etc are simple strategies of good design that until modern times have simply been logical and necessary decisions. One of the main things that bothers me with tract and 'cookie cutter' homes is their uniformity despite their location and orientation. Many buildings today look as though they were designed without any visit to a site or research into the surroundings of where the project is to be. But most don't care about such things when they wish only for maximum square footage and four car garage. Impact on the site, energy efficiency, conscientious use of materials are all things for others to worry about- but as the built world increasingly taxes the natural world and we find our quality of life being compromised, a return to such basic principles is important.

7- Disconnect from nature:
This issue blends together with the previous- In our complete ignoring of the world outside our own built universe, we not only are wasteful, but harmful to the environment. A connection with nature is not only beneficial for daylighting, heating, cooling and ventilation, but also healthy for people themselves. There is a tradition now of dominating, neglecting and abusing the natural environment which must be reversed before it is too late. A balanced relationship should be the goal.

8- Reliance on unnatural systems:
Last idea and one that has been talked about already is the overuse of a/c and ventilation systems, electric lighting, and other inorganic systems. While their use is sometimes unavoidable, simple design solutions and the right materials can usually greatly reduce the need for these energy consuming and pollution causing systems. Corbusier called the house 'a machine for living'- and I love the imagery it brings to mind. A place adaptable to fit the changes in living and usage by its occupants as well as to accommodate the changing environment outside. To paraphrase architect Glenn Murcutt, a home should be a living and breathing thing, one that closes up when it's cold and rainy and opens up and can breathe when it is hot and sunny. Bad architecture relies on unnatural systems- these systems allow for sloppiness as they can make up for the design's incompetencies.




10 comments:

will said...

Amen, amen and amen. Preach on brother! I am with you on every point. Grand entrances seem so embarrassing to me. What a waste of space, heating and cooling! Visually, they are the architectural equivalent of the big bear-claw bangs of the 80s.

Your points on green, site-specific design are right on. It is funny that truly green design is considered new or non-traditional. It specifically is traditional building.

I have a couple questions for you. Don't you think that cheap, quick, trendy, cladded (if that's a word) style is the result of technology? We can build stuff like that which lasts a few decades and, most importantly, sells, so why not? - That seems to be the thinking of most developers.

Second, how many people actually hire architects these days for homes? Do you have any statistics or percentages on that? It blows my mind that very wealthy people just go to a developer and pick stuff out of a catalog to patch together a Frankenstein of a house. It is just another massive McMansion, but they think they are making a statement with infinite, unnecessary gables, out of place palladian windows, and other trendy marks of modern "sophistication."

Why is it that more people with money to build don't come to architects to build a smaller but truly beautiful and unique home? (as well as a home that suits them and their lifestyle and actually responds to its environment while heating, cooling and lighting itself much more easily and naturally?)

Anonymous said...

You're back!!! I love it. I am so very pleased to have you design our home one day. If only you could help out everyone else in this world.

the silent warrior said...

Court- I completely agree with everything you said.

Will- Thanks for your comments too.
We discussed in school how depressingly few homes are designed with the input of architects. I believe it is below 5% for sure. I stumbled upon some guys blog arguing why homes by architects are superior to those of developers and how it's not always true that it has to be more expensive. He guessed that the number was down around 2-3%.

As for cladding and new materials and technology: I don't know why it is such a terrible thing to use cheap trendy materials if thats what you like, other than the wastefulness. And I just have a basic issue with architectural features and materials that serve no function, but are purely aesthetic- like some cheesy cladding. That is why I have a love for clean, modern design, Japanese architecture and stuff that is simple and functional. I love the idea of leaving the structure exposed, or the materials unfinished so that you can appreciate them and how the building is put together. Cladding covers all that good stuff up. But then, like I said, cladding is useful for high rises and places where it just doesn't make sense to use the real thing...
but still interesting to think about...

I wish architecture was more valued here, as in places like Europe, but for some reason it usually takes a back seat to efficiency and money. It really is a great investment in the long run though. It can enhance the quality life and add richness of character.

I think of the typical suburban street. It's like 80 to 100 feet wide for two lanes of traffic. That's like 4 to 5 times wider than necessary, but it is so because engineers got together with the fire chief and decided that if a huge fire truck needs to do a U-turn, that width is needed. And how often will it be used for such a purpose? Most likely never. But this has become the norm, wasting land and money, and altering the way a neighborhood feels completely. Now, playing out on the street is more like playing on an airport runway, drag strip, or if it's quiet, a parking lot. Not too inviting. Architects need to again be included in the planning and designing of our communities!

I do think that with people trying to be more environmental, and people's growing dissatisfaction with their suburban style, car reliant communities, architecture will make a come back.

p.s.- I read something funny a while ago about those crazy McMansion roof designs, and how you practically need a PHD in physics to figure them out...

Bill Hastings said...

Just when I was getting ready to add on a grand entry & put up some faux brick trim. Ruined my whole day!

Anna said...

Rob and I took a drive the other night (cheap date night) through a neighborhood called Olympus Heights. It is a neighborhood nestled at the base of Mt. Olympus, a gorgeous and incredible setting. The houses were absolutely disgusting. There were 2 that I thought were decent. And they were all probably designed by a developer or builder who probably couldn't name one element or principle of design.
In some ways I feel pretty lucky to have grown up with a Dad who knows about design and taught the history of architecture because it instilled an understanding of good/bad design. In some ways its a curse because driving around and looking at all the horrible horrible horrible houses is depressing.
So sort of off topic, I'd like to know who your top 10 fav. architects are (doesn't have to be contemporary.)

will said...

Jamie finds it quite odd that Taylors drive around critiquing neighborhoods as a family activity. There is something perverse about it, but I do it too with as much glee as anyone else.

Can you imagine if architects started helping design communities? If we could not only improve each individual house, but also make the whole community work together as a rational, healthy whole... now I'm dreaming of paradise.

I hear you Christian. I hope the green movement in home/community design will have at least as many aesthetic and lifestyle benefits as environmental ones.

the silent warrior said...

I don't know if I have a top ten of favorite architects. I can't really keep track of all the well-known architects and their projects, and there's alot of no name people doing amazing things.

But to throw some names out there, I like lots of Japanese architects like Kengo Kuma and Ando.

People like Koolhaas and Thom Mayne do crazy urban forms and other stuff that is almost futuristic and pretty sweet.

I like all the early modernists like Mies and pretty much love all things Eames. They were great designers and did such a variety of things.

I've seen lots of great local architects, like Public in San Diego is pretty great. I wanted to work for them. Their site is Publicdigital.com. They do great work, modern, and use lots of old, found objects and materials to create amazing stuff with lots of character.

In Hawaii, I've been looking at Vladimir Ossipoff who's known for doing the first Hawaiian Modern architecture back around 1940 on. He designed HPA among other things. Simple, clean and organic looking design, some amazing homes with inspiring connections to the site and nature.

My fav right now might be Glenn Murcutt of Australia. He does mostly single homes and is the master of detail, clean design and sustainability. I would love to do that type of work in the future...

I think I will do a post about stuff I like and post pictures of examples...try to do something positive.

Anna said...

lol....Yeah I'd love a "positive" post with visuals. didn't Ossipoff do the Honolulu airport?
I keep trying to convince Rob that the le courbusier and eames etc have some fabulous pieces. He doesn't believe me. t

will said...

Hey Christian, I just posted plans with explanations for a house I'd like to build some day over on my blog. It's a pretty long post, but if you ever get the chance to check it out, I'd love any advice you could offer on the reality (or lack of reality) of the ideas I'm hoping to pull off.

Any tips, advice, reading suggestions would be really appreciated, but only if you have time.

W.

Liz said...

I'm laughing because I was thinking about the house plans I've sketched and carried around with me for years (decades) and wondering what you would think of them. You'll have to be careful or you'll have all of us lining up for input!

Anyway, I haven't seen you since your wedding--and then it had been a long time--but I found your blog and it's been fun getting acquainted with you as I've read your ideas. Hope you don't mind.